Monday, November 1, 2010

Hell Bound

 Once again, I'm joining with Marla for the Radical Read-along. This week we're reading Chapter 7.

 Unless they know Jesus, everyone around us is going to hell.  Although blunt, this statement pretty much sums up chapter 7.  This isn't anything new to me, but it certainly isn't something I want to think about.  Especially when it means that the people around me that I cherish may be doomed for eternity.  As I have several close relatives that aren't following Christ, this isn't something I like to dwell on.

 In early posts, I've mentioned my desire to see my entire school community come to know Christ.  This is partially because of this chapter.  It's been hard to think that many of my beautiful friends are eternally damned.  I can't deal with that.  In the past, I've just not dwelt on it.  But after reading this chapter, I was challenged.

 I'm not handing out tracks, or standing on the corner with a megaphone.  But I am being a lot more intentional, both in my prayers and my conversation.  I don't typically speak freely about my faith.  It just isn't always acceptable.  Sometimes admitting I'm a Christian is a good way to end a conversation.  But recently, especially after this chapter, I'm a lot more open about my faith.  I'm not pushy, just genuine.  I don't choose my words quite as carefully as I used to.  And I'm ashamed to admit that I had stopped praying for people's salvation.  I'm not sure why, I just had.  I've started praying again, sometimes broadly, sometimes more specifically, but always for the salvation of those around me, sometimes even for strangers.  Strangely, I'm also being a lot more open about my struggles, especially how my faith ties into them.  I'm not selling a dream, but a hard faith, one that is well worth the cost.

 Beyond praying and more open conversation, I'm also being more intentional.  We are setting aside one evening a week for relational evangelism.  At this point, this consists mostly of building relationships. As time progresses, we hope to be able to share our faith and lead those around us to Christ.  Tomorrow my daughter's teacher will be coming for dinner. We went to high school together and could have been good friends, but, to our mutual regret, were too defined and confined by our labels.  My house may not be clean, and dinner may end up being from Pizza Pizza, but I am committed to building a relationship with this lovely woman so that she and her partner may know Christ.  I doubt it will happen overnight, but I want to be intentional in building relationships, praying and sharing Christ so that she and many others will worship before the Lamb when Time has run its course.


I have to apologize for this post.  My head is filled by thoughts of assault rifles and refugees.

5 comments:

  1. Love it! Particularly like the comment "I'm not selling a dream, but a hard faith, one that is well worth the cost." How often we think we need to project a pristine image of Christianity that is really just phony. But being real about our own struggles, and how our faith impacts that is real. It's what will ultimately attract people to Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Strangely, I'm also being a lot more open about my struggles, especially how my faith ties into them. I'm not selling a dream, but a hard faith, one that is well worth the cost."

    This so resonated with me! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my prayers for you as you reach out. i know and love dearly unbelievers. if you don't believe in american it isn't for a lack of informating handing out a trackisn't going to work 99% of the time. we must be salt and light.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow such practical steps already. You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete